I have a boyfriend, and he’s just the sweetest. May our love endure until we can finally meet in person or something. :3
But their ads are still amusing. Like this one:
And now this post is redundant.
I’ve been setting up these servers numerous times, and I’ve had to install the same crap repeatedly. The fun part is building it into a regular process. For starters:
I start with an Ubuntu LTS VPS. Currently 14.04.
Then I log into its root account, and `adduser kode54` and create my user account, then `adduser kode54 sudo` to grant it administrator privileges. Then I log out.
Then I log back in as my user account.
The first thing I install, as a habit I picked up from a friend, is the package tool, `wajig`.
Then I use wajig to install `update-notifier-common` and `landscape-common` for the motd properties.
Then I install the stuff I need to run a given server.
For my main VPS, I install `nginx`, and add the official `weechat` repository for its latest stable version. I also installed `php5-fpm`, for a few minor web page things, and also `python3-pip` to install `beautifulsoup4` for a [notifier script](https://gist.github.com/Treeki/006a30d2f6e07213aa51) that a friend wrote for checking _things_.
For my GitLab server, it was similar, only instead of the last paragraph, I add the GitLab Omnibus repository, and install `gitlab-ce`. Then, since I’ve got an existing configuration, I migrated over the `/etc/gitlab` files, and also migrated over a full backup.
Oh, crap, I forgot to run wajig daily-upgrade on them.
That’s the Linux servers.
The Windows server was a completely different game.
For starters, I installed the Windows Server 2012 R2, and waited about 12 minutes for it to provision. Then I connected into it, and used the Server Manager to install .NET Framework 3.5. Then I downloaded the Visual Studio 2010 Professional .iso from my old server, along with the 2010 SP1 .iso, and the disk image of my source code work tree. This source tree is not 100% necessary, but speeds up migration, as it contains everything already pre-cloned, and also contains a lot of older builds, and debugging information.
Installing Visual Studio 2010 only takes about 45 minutes on an SSD, and then installing the Service Pack takes another half an hour. Then it’s off to Windows Update to configure it to fetch updates for other Microsoft products, then fetch the latest updates. There were about 150 when I last ran it on a fresh machine with all that crap installed.
Welp, that’s about it. Three servers, all provisioned to make my life easier, or perhaps more complicated.
I’ve migrated two of my servers to my host’s new SSD plans, now I just need to migrate the last one, the GitLab instance. A simple GitLab shutdown, backup image, transfer, install, restore, and I’ll be done.
I discovered something neat today. I have the following script in my .vimrc for all of my shells, as well as my local machine:
if &term =~ “xterm.*”
let &t_ti = &t_ti . “e[?2004h”
let &t_te = “e[?2004l” . &t_te
This isn’t really a problem with local instances of vim, but remote instances, if the connection is terminated while the editor is active, it will leave this edit mode enabled in the terminal client on OS X, whether it’s Terminal.app or iTerm2.
This results in all pastes getting surrounded with `
The fix, quite simply, is to issue a `reset` command to the terminal, which will restore it to normal operation.
Noting this error and fix down for future reference.
Welp, everybody, here’s the new blergh! Isn’t it swell? Oh, exploitable!
Well, I donned my fursona name on Freenode for Halloween, and that wasn’t really met with any question, as everybody already knows I’m a gigantic furry faggot. I can say that word because it’s another true aspect of my character.
Well, how about an update for the world of the Real?
I finally got off my ass and got my new development VPS set up! For the low low price of $54/mo, I get a Windows VPS, and for just $30/mo on top of that, I get to use any version of Visual Studio on that machine. I would use Community for free, but I like to continue to support my poor Windows XP users, and since Peter has not seen fit to drop support for XP, neither will I.
Visual Studio 2015 had lovely errors when attempting to build `foo_midi` with the `v140_xp` SDK. The resulting code would _appear_ to work, only when anyone running Windows XP attempted to play or convert any files using the MUNT MT-32 emulator, either automatically or through the Super MUNT GM mode, would crash the player. No such problem on Windows Vista or higher.
Debugging this is probably out of the question, since I cannot run Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows XP VM, nor can I use remote debugging with VS 2015. I probably could try using Windbg, but I don’t really feel like that.
One downgrade later, fully updated Visual Studio 2010 Professional, a rebuild of the source and project tree for `foo_midi`, and it runs flawlessly on Windows XP systems.
Next up on the agenda, I need to update my copy of residfp to the latest SVN source, which will apparently fix a number of playback bugs, such as some files that fail completely, and others that may have rendering errors.
We hit the spawn limit in Terraria 1.3 with a dedicated server